Python 3 was by far the selection over Python 2 in a late-2022 survey of greater than 23,000 Python builders, however the share of respondents utilizing Python 2 really ticked up in comparison with the earlier yr.
Outcomes of the sixth annual Python Builders Survey, performed by the Python Software program Basis and software program instruments maker JetBrains, have been launched September 27. The Python Builders Survey 2022 report signifies that 93% of respondents had adopted Python 3, whereas solely 7% have been nonetheless utilizing Python 2.
Within the 2021 survey, although, 95% used Python 3 whereas 5% used Python 2. In 2020, Python 3 held a 94% to six% edge. Relationship again to 2017, 75% used Python 3 and 25% used Python 2.
Python 3 debuted in December 2008, and the newest replace, Python 3.12, arrived this week. The 2022 report stated 29% of respondents nonetheless use Python 2 for knowledge evaluation, 24% use Python 2 for pc graphics, and 23% used Python 2 for devops. The survey additionally discovered that 45% of respondents are nonetheless utilizing Python 3.10, which arrived two years in the past, whereas simply 2% nonetheless use Python 3.5 or decrease. (Python 3.11 was launched October 24, 2022, proper when the survey was being performed.)
Python builders from greater than 200 nations and areas participated within the survey, which was performed from October 14 to November 14, 2022. Different outcomes from the survey:
- Python was cited as the primary language by 85% of respondents.
- Net growth, knowledge evaluation, and machine studying have been key makes use of of the language.
- Python net framework utilization is a three-horse race between Flask, Django, and FastAPI.
- 66% of Python builders use cloud platforms, up from 61% the earlier yr. Amazon Net Providers was the main cloud platform for Python builders.
- Microsoft’s Visible Studio Code and JetBrains’ PyCharm have been the most well-liked editors.
- 34% of respondents to the survey have developed and packaged Python libraries.
Copyright © 2023 IDG Communications, Inc.